Monday, August 30, 2010

A Trip to Acupractic

As noted in my Saturday post (which made one friend think my water had broken, sorry for any confusion! :) I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping due to "carpal tunnel" pain in my hand. Both my doula and midwife recommended chiropractic or acupuncture as possibilities, so I decided to give it a try. Honestly I was willing to try anything that might help and wouldn't hurt the baby. A friend at school recommended a place called Acupractic because it is one woman who does both chiropractic and acupuncture. I scheduled an appointment for this afternoon.

It was interesting, to say the least. After a long discussion of what I've been feeling, some tests to see my range of motion, and a physical exam that included feeling all of my vertebrae, the doctor (Josh would probably have me put that in quotes, and I debated it. Does anyone know the qualifications to be a doctor of chiropractic? Am I revealing too much of my cynical nature?) explained that she though a chiropractic adjustment would be the best first step. Apparently my hips and a few of my vertebrae were out of alignment. I'm still not sure how I feel about hearing my own bones crack. It was weird, and I have to say that I didn't really like it.

I don't really know if the adjustment is going to help with my hand or not. It was mentioned that it could have to do with my neck, and that realignment might help. Either way, realigning my pelvis is probably a good thing to do before trying to give birth. Now I'm supposed to see how this makes me feel and return on Friday for possible acupuncture to help with the issue with my hand. I have to say I'm feeling a bit skeptical, but I hope it really helps. I also hope it doesn't leave me more sore or send me into labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment