Sunday, August 22, 2010

Preoccupation

I have a problem. I am ridiculously preoccupied with my baby and my body. I think pregnancy always makes you more aware of your physical being, but lately it's gotten a bit out of control. As I sit in meetings at work or hang out with friends, I find I can't stop feeling and watching my belly (and my feet, as they have started swelling :(). Feeling her move, and she's moving a lot, is just so cool, amazing, distracting, and even painful! I try and try to focus on what is going on around me, but I know I am not doing a good job. I know I randomly insert comments about her squirming into conversation. I'm afraid I'm being rude.

While I am actually relishing the unparalleled feeling of having her growing and moving within me, I do NOT want for this focus on her to become my modus operandi. Josh and I both agree that, while we love her, are super excited about her, and know she will change our lives forever, we do not want for her to be the focus of our life. We have committed to each other and to our friends that we will still go out. We will bring her along. We will find babysitters. We will have a life, maybe a different one, but one none the less. While she is currently and quite literally the center of my body, and it's very difficult not to be preoccupied by that, we do not want to make her the center of our world.

I'm just letting you know now that I might need reminding! :)

P.S. Yep...that is my belly!

2 comments:

  1. oh you'll need reminding! trust me! you think she's the center of your being now, wait til you can see her and talk to her and hug her and be hugged by her!

    ReplyDelete