Friday, August 20, 2010

Birth Class #3

On Monday Josh and I had our third of four birth classes. By spending this one on one time I feel like we are really getting to know our Doula and building a relationship with her which is wonderful. Josh and I both really like her and I know that she will be an essential piece in having a natural birth.

This weeks class started with some scenarios for Josh try to think about how he would respond. His one misstep was when he said, when asked what he would do when I started saying "I'm done...I can't do this.", he replied "You're getting close" and the Doula asked him how he knew! But overall he did a great job, and I feel pretty confident that he'll be just as calm and supportive when it's crunch time as he was in our living room.

We then spent some time talking about all the different medical interventions we might face. We watched some videos about the chain, and sometimes the landslide, of interventions as well as one of an intervention free birth. For both Josh and I, much of this was review. We've read about and discussed these things a lot. It was good, however, to think about situations in which they would be necessary and we would be comfortable using them. Now our homework is to write a simple, but complete birth plan.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm becoming a bit more nervous as the birth becomes eminent. I find myself occasionally questioning why it is that I want to do an unmedicated birth. I know the benefits to myself and to my baby, but so many people I speak to are happy with their induced epidural deliveries that I wonder if I'm being naive or just plain stubborn. I also question whether I can really handle the pain and especially the nausea which sometimes comes with labor. I just keep telling myself, and luckily Josh also keeps telling me, I can. I welcome any and all supportive encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. it's your birth, your baby, you will get more input about this and parenting than probably anything else your whole life and here's mine :-P you should do it how you feel led to do it, fears aside, if it's what you want, speak life into it and pray about it :) "i can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this! Keep telling yourself: Pain with a purpose. Pain with a purpose. Pain with a purpose. And then think of the satisfaction you have at the end.

    ReplyDelete