Monday, April 25, 2011

Identity Crisis

Monday was Lily's seven month birthday. I know I say this every month, but time seems to be flying by. She is so precious. But you know what...I realized something recently. I think I'm having a identity crisis.

I think that for the last seven months my only real role has been "mother". Don't get me wrong, I love that role, but I'm starting to enjoy taking on some new roles. I've returned to work and am back in charge of my classroom and enjoying the role of "teacher". I've been trying to get back into the swing of work which has been tougher than I expected. This week, for the first time, I feel like I was actually a "good" teacher and contributing member of the team.

I've also been doing more socially with and even without Lily. I've left her with Josh several times to "go out" and I'm enjoying that freedom. I even spent four hours at a salon last Thursday (which may also be a symptom of the identity crisis, but I think it's a good one and am enjoying my new hair). Last night I went to dinner and a movie with a friend. It was lovely.

I'm also enjoying the role of wife. I think I had temporarily forgotten about that one. With Lily regularly going to bed fairly early and being able to entertain herself more when she is awake, Josh and I have had more opportunities to work in the yard (which we both enjoy), cook dinner, and actually sit and connect*. Our little get away weekend at the beach was also quite nice. I think we sort of missed each other in the craziness of being mom and dad instead of Mamie and Josh.

I know that mother is a role that I will have for the rest of my life, and I love it, but I think that seven months was a long time for it to be my only role. Re-finding myself isn't always easy, but it is quite necessary and I think in the long run it will be quite nice.

* I'll let you read whatever you want to into that! :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't recognize you in the picture of Lily with the goats. I thought it was you but then I wasn't sure. I love the new hair!!

    I am so happy and thrilled that you are becoming multi-identified. I know how important it is to you to be purposeful and I am very glad to see you find other things you enjoy. A happy mom equals a happy baby. And it makes me feel even better about the future for myself.

    ReplyDelete