Sunday, April 17, 2011

Crazy Weather = Crazy Mommy

As I'm sure you know, we have been having some crazy weather. Last weekend my hometown was struck by two tornadoes that left a ton of damage, but miraculously no fatalities. Yesterday a very strong storm system moved through North Carolina causing numerous tornadoes. Josh and I got back in town just as the storms approached.

I know I may be a bit over paranoid, but I found myself glued to the storm coverage as it was approaching yesterday. I even refused to put Lily down upstairs for a nap. I know Josh thought I was crazy. She was obviously tired and quite fussy, but I was scared. I couldn't imagine having her all the way up there and us downstairs if something happened. I didn't even want to put her down. I held her until we were sure the threat of the storms had passed our area. Then, last night, I had this strange compulsion to sleep in her room "just in case". I fought the urge because I knew that all the bad weather was passed, but still...

It's good to know, however that I'm not alone in being crazy worried about the ones I love. My own mother called me twice to check on me. My sister and aunt each called as well. My friend admitted today that she called her husband, who was home with the kids while she worked, and ordered he take their kids into the bathroom.

We may be a bit overly cautious as moms, but these storms are really scary and and the devastation they leave behind is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment