Friday, April 15, 2011

Birth on T V

Josh is speaking at some high schools at the coast today, so Lily and I decided to join him for a little mini-vacation (I'll post more about the trip later). Today, while Lily was napping, I watched a few of those birth shows on tv. Since Lily was born I've become a bit of a birth story junkie. Please excuse the following rant, but most of these shows are quite annoying.

In one of them they told the woman that because she was having pitocin (I'm not sure why), she had to have an epidural because she wouldn't be able to handle he pain. That just isn't true. Both my friend Anna and I were induced and delivered without pain medication. With responsible use of pit and good labor support, it is totally possible.

In another show they told a woman who was fully dilated and pushing, that she needed a c-section because every time she pushed the baby was coming two steps forward and one step back. I remember that, it sucks, but it is a totally normal part of birth. They also blamed the c-section on the fact she hadn't had any pain medication and was too tired. They actually sort of shamed her for that. It made me mad.

I know that everyone has different experiences of labor and birth and there is no one right way, but I am super frustrated by how some doctors manipulate their patients (especially those who don't know any better) into doing what is best for the doctor/hospital. I am so glad and so fortunate that the midwives and L&D nurses at UNC are so helpful and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment