Thursday, February 11, 2010

Boy or Girl

I know we aren't quite to that point yet, but a lot of people are already weighing in on the issue of finding out the baby's gender. This is a decision I'm still on the fence about. I had dinner with a good friend the other day who waited with her first child and is going to wait again with her second. She encouraged me to not find out and explained that it is the one time in your life you can really be surprised. I totally understand that and am very intrigued.

Yesterday some friends were discussing this topic as it relates to another of our friends who is pregnant. They are having a girl and the registry is jammed packed with pink and purple things. I can see how this would be tempting as girl things are much "cuter" than boy things. The discussion was based on how impractical this is because your next baby could end up another gender and it would be awkward to use the same high chair, car seat, stroller, etc. One person comment that this is why they didn't find out, so they wouldn't be tempted to get gender specific baby things and because people then gave them extra stuff when they found out what the gender was.

Both of these are somewhat convincing arguments and I'm seriously debating not finding out. But, I'm pretty sure Josh wants to find out. We welcome more feedback from those of you who have taken both paths!

3 comments:

  1. I know I am no where near the decision but my take is this... I want to know but I do not plan on sharing with anyone else. The registery will be gender neutral as I really don't like how boys get blue and girls get pink. This way I can reuse a lot of things, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found out and for the things that we wanted the baby to have that were individually hers (like clothes or blankets) we went ahead and registered for pink and purple :-) but for things we potentially planned to reuse like a high chair and stroller we got something pretty, but gender neutral (like pale green or pale brown)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i say don't find out! it's the greatest surprise in the world, and I agree with the person who said it's the only real surprise left. you'll know along the way anyway, at first i thought it was a girl, then somewhere near the end, i knew for certain it was a boy, when he came out i didn't even have to ask, i just knew already!

    ReplyDelete