This past week, Lily turned 8 months old and started saying mama. The thing is, she only says it when she is upset. When she is happy, she chants "dadadadada", but when she is upset, she screams "mama". My nanny says it's because she wants comforting and mamas are for comfort, whereas dadas are for fun.
This got me thinking. Perhaps mama is a natural innate sound that a baby human makes when in need of comfort, much like a baby kitten meow or a baby bird chirp. Perhaps that is why the first words used for mother are so similar around the world. Interesting!
It also made me think that perhaps I underestimate my baby girl. Perhaps she really does know who mama is and calls for me when she wants comforting. She certainly does say dada more when he is around. Not exclusively, but more. Mama, however, seems to come out more when I'm not there than when I am. Who really knows. I just like that she says it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment