Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Teen Moms

The High School where my church meets has quite a few students who either have children or are expecting children. As part of our ongoing efforts to really be part of the school community, we have recently started looking for ways to support these girls. As soon as this was mentioned in church one Sunday, I teared up and knew that I was supposed to help. Today I decided to take the day off work to attend our first event, a "baby shower".

We took tons of diapers and gently used clothes, along with lunch for the girls. I wasn't sure what to expect. While these women are moms, they are also still high school students. The counselor had to go and "remind" many of them to attend, but once they did, what happened was beautiful. I think that being together in one space helped them see that they are not alone. Although shy at first, they soon dived into searching for clothes for their little ones and conversation with each other about motherhood.

It was obvious who was expecting and who was already a mother, and not just because of the belly. There was a noticeable maturity among those who already have a baby they are taking care of. I'm not surprised. Being a mom brings with it a whole new set of concerns and joy and until you experience it, you really have no idea what you are in for.

I was somewhat surprised to see one of the fathers come with his girlfriend to the shower. I'm proud of that young man even though I don't know him. It can't be easy for a teenage boy to come into a room full of girls looking at baby clothes, heck, I don't think Josh would have done it. It really got me thinking that all of these baby's have dads. Perhaps we need to look more into ways that we can support them as well. Being a dad isn't easy either and there is lots of evidence out there about how important having a good dad is.

I hope that seeing us there, struggling with our own babies fussing, being hungry, spilling things, etc. they see that no one has it all together. The point is that we all realize that parenthood is a challenge, but that having people, be they your peers or elders (wow...I hate that word, I am not old enough to be an elder, but I couldn't think of another word that would work), to talk about all of the struggles and joys with makes the whole journey a bit easier and a lot more fun. I know I'm blessed to have lots of other moms in my life.

Overall, I can not imagine being a high school student and a mother. Motherhood is a tough gig even when you are "grown up". I'm impressed that these girls are finishing school and doing their best to be good moms. I want to do anything I can to support that. We have plans to do more "showers" in the future as well as large group outings and a mentor program. I'm so excited to see what God does in the lives of these young girls and their little ones.

1 comment:

  1. This was so good. Had to read it again this morning. What a beautiful expression of the Kingdom moving forward in great love!

    ReplyDelete