Sunday, May 8, 2011

My First Mother's Day!

Today is my first legitimate Mother's Day as a mom. I have to admit that I was a bit weepy most of they day. It's just that it's been such a long journey. I get caught up in the joy of having Lily that I forget what it was like before.

Last Mother's day, when I was expecting her, was exciting, but a little awkward. I was still timid about celebrating, and fearful that something bad might happen. The ones for several years before that were painful.

Today, though, all of my tears were joyful. The first tears today were as I set this morning nursing her when she woke up (she slept until 9!) and just marveling at having her in my arms.

The next were on the way to church after talking to my family and remembering some great memories with my own mom! Then there were tears during church singing "there is mourning in the night, but joy comes in the morning!" Those words just rang so true about so many aspect of motherhood!

The middle of the day was fairly tear free as we went out to lunch with friends, then Josh watched Lily so I could have a nap! Tonight Josh and I took dinner to friends who have a two week old baby. Don't get me wrong, there are some things (mainly the inconsolable crying) that I don't miss about having a tiny one, but the snuggliness is nice. Josh, knowing that I was thinking about how fast Lily is growing, just had to point out how before you know it she'll be going away to college! I can't even imagine and choose not to!

As joyful as they are, hopefully those, well actually the ones I cry as I write this, will be my last tears of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment