Monday, January 31, 2011

Feeding Lily

Can I just say how much I love nursing Lily! It was not easy at first. Sore nipples and her lack of weight gain almost made me give it up, but I am eternally grateful that I didn't. Now that I'm back at work, it is such a special time for us to share each morning before I leave for work and a great way to reconnect when I get home. I do truly treasure each opportunity to nurse her. (Mr.Sophie even likes to be part of this special family time!)

The flip side of feeding her now that I'm back at work is the pumping. I am very fortunate that a friend who is out on leave has let me use her office. It is really a perfect spot because it is close to my room, off the busy student halls, and pretty private. The first few times I was there pumping I was quite self conscious about the sound of the pump and the fact that the door wouldn't lock me in. I was also disappointed with how little I was able to pump. After a few times I figured out that I could put a chair in front of the door to insure a bit more security and watch hulu on my computer to cover any sound. Surprisingly, or not maybe not so surprisingly, I began to be able to pump more. Now I'm pretty much able to pump enough to cover what she eats in a day.

I'm sure that in some ways it would be easier to give her formula, but, for me, the extra effort is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment