Monday, January 17, 2011

Tummy Time

Lily is not really one for much tummy time. She love to lay on her back, and isn't a big fan of being held too much, but she tends to squirm and fuss when I put her on her tummy. All the books, however, say that it's essential for them to develop their core muscles needed for rolling over and crawling.

I think part of the problem is that with our hardwood floors there wasn't really a convenient spot to lay her down downstairs, thus I didn't give her a ton of tummy time when she was really young. In an attempt to create a downstairs play spot, I purchased this pinwheel playmat for her. She love it...on her back. She will lay on her back on it for long periods of time. She's even gotten to the point that she'll roll onto her side so she can grab the ears or rings and see the designs. She'll even spend more time on her tummy. Not a lot of time, but more time than before.

This past week she has almost rolled over on the mat several times. She will roll from her back to her side and even get her leg over, but can't quiet get her shoulders to cooperate. At one point Josh helped her by rolling her over to her stomach and using the momentum he helped her with she kept right on going back over to her back. I think we are getting very close to having a rolling baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment