Friday, February 4, 2011

Shots and Sleepless Nights

I've seen the middle of the night way too much this week. Our normally good sleeping baby has had a rough week. I think she might have been going through a growth spurt the first part of the week. Monday she woke at 10pm and at 5am, which wasn't terrible. Wednesday night she woke at 11pm, 4am, and 6am, nursed and went back to sleep, which was a bit tough, especially since we got up at 3am to order iPhones! Last night, however, was the worst night we've had since her first week home.

Yesterday Lily went to the doctor for her four month check up and got some shots. I think they really made her sore and out of sorts. She woke up at 12:30am and was quite upset until about 2:30! Nothing would console her. She nursed for a while, but it never made her content and she would scream when she stopped. Then she got to where she wouldn't even nurse. I tried letting her "cry it out" twice, but she would only settle briefly before starting wail again. At one point she was asleep in my arms in our bed, but my arm was going numb and there was no way I could sleep in that position, so I tried to lay her down. This resulted in a return of the wail. Eventually I was able to give her some more tylenol (which I couldn't give her before 2am because she had had it at 8 before bed) and soothe her in bed until she was deep asleep enough for me to lay her down.

It was not fun for anyone, especially Josh who had to get up extra early this morning for work. He and I both got quite flustered and frustrated. The middle of the night hysteria started to set in and we both got short with each other. It was not our best partnering or parenting. As we finally fell asleep , I leaned over to him and whispered that I have no idea how people survive who have nights like this one on a regular basis. Then I sent up a silent prayer and plea that Lily would sleep the rest of the night. Thanks be to God that she did!

1 comment:

  1. My mom told me to make the shots appointments for days when I would be off the next day. Apparently my sister and I both had bad reactions to shots and she learned the hard way with us. I'm glad she told me. I don't know that I would have thought about it otherwise. I'm off every Wednesday and I'm sure that's when I would have normally made the appts but now I make them for Friday when I'm off the weekend. Sorry she had such a rough night. Hoping tonight is better for all of you.

    ReplyDelete