Thursday, February 10, 2011

Starting Solids

Hey moms...when did you start your baby on solids? Please vote in the poll to the right or comment below!

This past week at Lily's pediatrician appointment, I asked her doctor when we should start thinking about giving her solid food. She said really any time between now and six months. She said I would just know...which, honestly, wasn't that helpful.

Last week, when she wasn't sleeping through the night, I considered giving her some cereal mixed in with her bottle to help her sleep. When I read about it and asked some friends, however, evidence pointed to the fact that it probably wouldn't work, and I just wasn't ready to start yet

Josh is really wanting to feed her everything. Perhaps this is because he doesn't get to feed her much. Just last weekend I had to convince him to not give her part of his breakfast. I, on the other hand, waiver about it. At times I think it would be fun to give her a little cereal and see how she likes it. Other times, I dread her starting solids because it feels like it would mean less nursing, which I love.

I almost bought a box of rice cereal yesterday at the grocery store, but at the last minute I put it back! I'm just curious what other mom's did and how it worked?

6 comments:

  1. We started Jillian on food a few weeks ago. Cereal in the morning at first (we used oatmeal to avoid the constipation of rice). Then a week later, apples in addition to the cereal. And today, it was nectarines and cereal. She still drinks her full bottle after, but generally, the number of feedings per day decreases. She loves her food and has a fit while I'm trying to get more out of the bowl. My pediatrician did say that at first, it will appear like the kid is rejecting the food because they spit it out. But it's just her getting used to learning how to swallow. It took a good week or two to get most of the food down, but it got better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamie- I highly recommend 'Super Baby Food' by Ruth Yaron. My copy is already on loan or I would pass it on to you. Super Baby really stresses waiting until 6 months (especially so if you are nursing) and not starting them on cereals for first foods - instead opting for foods like mashed avocado. I'm happy to chat more about it with you if you are interested. Hugs. Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the thing, you do know, wait :-) if it were the right time you'd feel okay about it. Lily is well fed and in great growth percentiles, she's super healthy & sleepy really well. When it's time she will let you know and you will know. :-)
    Sorry Josh patience dude! :-) the feeding fun is coming!!
    -annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie's first solid food wasn't cereal, either. I think we started with custard style tofu. Our intention was avocado, but they were so expensive and (in my opinion) not soft enough. We waited until 6 months because I have some good allergies and our pediatrician recommended that if there were any food allergies to wait until AT LEAST six months, if not later. Natalie started to reach for our spoons or food on our plates pretty consistently before I started her on solids. I would also recommend bland solids (rather than sweet, like bananas or applesauce) because apparently that makes them develop even more of a taste for sweets than they already have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started both of our kids on rice cereal around 4 months because they seemed ready. They would watch us intently when we ate and just seemed like they were not totally satisfied with just nursing. I was on the low-side with my milk production. They both took to eating solids immediately but continued breastfeeding as well. They were already sleeping great, so it didn't affect that too much. I think Lily will tell you when she's ready. There isn't really a RIGHT time.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete