Monday, September 20, 2010

To Work or Not To Work...That is the Question

Well, today, September 20th is the day I had originally intended to start my maternity leave, yet here I sit at work! It is an interesting situation. Part of me is tired and ready to be home, but part of me wants to save my days to be with her after she is here. Plus, I know it will be quite boring to sit home all day just waiting. Last week, a parent at open house told me that in Germany you are required to leave work six weeks before your baby is due...I think that might drive me crazy.

Still, everything at school is ready for me to be out. Everyone seems shocked that I'm here every day that I show up. I've got my long term sub all lined up and waiting for the call. I've met with her a couple of times to plan and discuss what she will be teaching. When I left on Friday, I left all of my sub plans and copies for the next two weeks. I've got all of my papers graded and student grades are up to date. I've taken care of all of the necessary business...I'm ready to go!

Still, at this point, it's a tough decision to make. This morning I woke up feeling a little strange. Just slightly crampy and sore, but not really like I was in labor. I don't want anything dramatic to happen at work, but I also don't want to sit around home for days. I actually called my doula, Erin, to ask her opinion. As I was thinking, she said that it probably would not go from nothing to drama too fast and I would have time to come home if anything escalated. Plus, being up and around would be better for me than sitting on the couch at home. So, here I am. I guess from here on out it will be a day by day decision.

1 comment:

  1. Just make sure you are able to rest and get as much sleep as you can. Go to the pool if you can (if it is still warm enough). Lots of thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete