You know...this being "late" thing is interesting. Yes, it's true that my little girls due date was three days ago, but what does that really mean? I don't really believe that you can or should schedule birth for a specific date. For most of history and in most areas of the world women don't have specific days that their babies are due. Many only have a vague idea of "the end of September", if that. The only reason I feel any impatience is this imposed medical structure, which doesn't really mean anything.While it is true that I am excited about meeting her, and Josh and I both struggle to be patient, I really do believe that she will come when she is ready. There were two of my friends who were also expecting this week, and both of them have had their babies already. While you might think I would find this frustrating, they also both ended up having c-sections. I don't know the details of their birth situations, but I can't help but think that when we get in a hurry we increase our chances of unnecessary medical interventions.
While I appreciate all the prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. I don't really feel like I need sympathy, apologies, or condolences. If given the choice of waiting and allowing her birth to be natural, or being in a hurry and doing "whatever it takes" to get her here, I'll wait! I feel super blessed that I'm not miserable, or really even that uncomfortable. I'm sleeping well and the carpal tunnel in my hand has gone away. I'm going to try to enjoy these days I have to hang out with friends and relax before she comes!
P.S. This doesn't mean that I wasn't upset with Josh for choosing October 2nd in his office birth pool and don't get mad at my sister when she suggested her birthday, October 5th!
October 1st :D
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you are sleeping & your hand is feeling better. You getting some rest and relaxing is a great thing.