Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Pediatrician

All of my baby books tell me that it's important to interview potential pediatricians in the month before you baby is born. This is something of a foreign concept for me. Where we grew up, there were not a lot of options. You took your baby to the doctor the hospital or friends recommended. There was no interview process.

A few weeks ago I asked friends who live near me and have new babies who they go to and got a few recommendations. Then I did a little online research. It looked to me like University Pediatrics at Highgate was a good option. They are close to our house, have long office hours (8am - 8pm) and came recommended by several different friends, so I gave them a call last week to find out what I needed to do to get our daughter into their practice. They set up an appointment today for me to "meet and greet" the doctor I was most interested in.

After work today Josh and I went to meet her. I have to admit that Josh and I both felt a little awkward "interviewing" a doctor. This is just not something I am used to. I took the list of questions many of my books suggested and paired it down to the things that seemed most important to us. The doctor we met with was very nice and answered all of our questions. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was that they don't do email with their patients, but I understand how they could be overwhelmed. They do have a nurse advice line that is available twenty-four hours a day and a doctor on call at any time, which is great.

We found out what we needed to do to get her in the practice, which was actually really easy since they are both part of the UNC group. We have a pediatrician. A part of me feels bad not interviewing numerous people until I find someone perfect, but I also feel pretty confident that they will take good care of our little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment