Maybe I just have too much time on my hands now that school is out for the year, but I am seriously stressing over the diaper decision. Cloth or Disposable? Right now my registry contains both. Part of me really hates how wasteful disposable diapers are. Part of me loves how convenient disposable diapers are. Part of me does not want to have to do laundry every day. Part of me does not want to spend a fortune on something that just gets pooped on and thrown away. Part of me knows that I'll probably have to use disposable when she is in daycare. Part of me feels like I should minimize the environmental impact when I do have her home with me.Josh is absolutely no help in the matter. His take on the issue is that he has never changed a diaper, so he won't know the difference. Whatever I tell him we are doing, he'll get used to and think that is the way it is. I think part of him likes the environmental benefits of cloth, but part of him doesn't love the idea of shaking off poop. Luckily he's not easily grossed out and will go along with whatever decision we make, which, in some ways is nice, but in others is not at all helpful.
Then, there is the decision of types. There are many different brands of disposable, but I'm less worried about that. If we go cloth, there are many different options. I think I prefer the all in one diaper and cover like those made by bumgenius or fuzzibunz, but they are expensive. Anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, with either? They also come in different sizes. How many do I need of each size?
I welcome any and all advice on this issue as I try to finalize this, the last real decision, on my registry.
Hey Mamie! Congrats on the soon to be baby! I follow an organic blog and this came up recently
ReplyDeletehttp://organicdeals.blogspot.com/2010/06/baby-steals-gro-baby-cloth-diapers-47.html
Hope the comments help!
~Jessica
We used disposables until her umbilical stump fell off. Then we used Kissaluvs size 0 with a variety of covers. We had around 27 Kissaluvs (borrowed a lot from a friend) and 4 covers. When she outgrew the Kissaluvs, we moved on to Bumgenius 3.0's, which should last her until she's potty-trained since they have 3 different size settings. We probably have around 15-20 of those. Loved the Kissaluvs, but our covers tended to leak. The BG 3.0's are ok, but we're having some repelling issues now and the velcro tabs are curling and won't attach as well (which makes me question if we'll be able to use them with future children). Let me know if you have any specific questions! We're overall happy with cloth diapering.
ReplyDeleteCloth would be great but make sure you have a good washer for sanitation. Plus you have to prerinse, so your not really saving water. I think there is a thing at babies r us called G diapers. I hear alot of good about them. I do not know, but they might be biodigradable.
ReplyDeleteI've heard the comment about the waste of water but I recently heard an agrument countering that but now I have forgotten it. I have several friends who have done both and have stuck with cloth now. There are programs out there that will let you do a trial with cloth so you can figure it out and be out $10 if it doesn't work out. I'll get you some info ;D
ReplyDeleteI LOVE LOVE LOVE CLOTH!!! It is amazing, but it can be super overwhelming. I'm pretty sure I spent AT LEAST 20 hours researching. Of course my budget limited me, but I'm kinda glad it did. I ended up with prefolds and covers. And I LOVE them. Prefolds last longer than AIO's, and they'll go through multiple babies, so I am able to lend them to friends when Levi grows out of that size. They are so easy to put on AND wash. The covers last a little less because of the buttons and/or velcro. I could go on forever, but maybe I'll just send you an email :-)
ReplyDelete