Sunday, May 16, 2010

30 - A Year of Change

This week, I'll be 30 years old. Tonight we celebrated with all of the people I hold dear. It made me feel so special to have so many people come to share my special day. Thank you to all of you who came to celebrate!

One thing was very clear to me tonight. My life is about to change! As I looked around the party at all of my friends in my house, I was shocked at how many children were present. When I went out for my 25th birthday, just five years ago, there were no children. Tonight, there were gaggles of them and at least four more on the way. In some ways it's delightful. Nothing is quite as cute as two-year olds holding hands and dancing!

But then 7pm rolled around. That's right, 7pm! There was much talk of bed time, a few tears, and a mass exodus of parents and children from the party. Please don't misunderstand. I am not upset about this, in fact, I understand completely, but it's just so different than parties of a few years ago. I have to admit, I have a bit of fear. Am I really ready for that? For leaving parties at 7pm, for spending parties keeping my little girl from doing things she shouldn't, for worrying about potty breaks, for not finishing adult conversations?

I think I am ready. I am 30 after all! When I was young, I always thought I'd have several children by the time I was 30. I've had quite a few years of fun, late nights, and, to be honest, I was getting sort of tired of them. I guess it's all part of a new stage and a new adventure. I just hope we're ready.

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I thought I'd have children by 30 when I was in high school. But even before when "things" were different, I thought 30 was young for me to have kids. Now, I just hope to have them before 35.

    ReplyDelete