Monday, May 3, 2010

Fertile Soil!

I have decided that our new house must be on very fertile soil. I'm serious...in some way, it has been blessed with fertility. Of course, the obvious connection and evidence is my own growing baby bump, but that is not all. There is also our garden.


A few weeks ago, Josh and I decided to plant a garden. We both love having fresh vegetables, but could never get anything to grow at the town house. This spring we built some beds, planted some seeds, and began to wait**. I have to be honest, I did not have much faith in the seeds. For some reason, it was hard for me to imagine that they would actually become plants. The fertility of our soil proved me wrong. In just a few short weeks we have tons of plants, and I can't help but think we'll actually have vegetables in a few more, but that's not all. There are also the turtles.
On Saturday morning, there was a little painted turtle from the lake behind the house laying eggs in the yard. It was cute and cool and we marked the spot so we could watch for the hatchlings. Then she left and we were afraid we had scared her away. Later in the day, she came back, or so we thought. Then, on Sunday morning, there was another little turtle laying eggs (or was it the same one, we weren't sure). This morning there were two more turtles, one of which was at least a foot long and a different type (snapping, maybe) of turtle. After taking some pictures of them, I started looking around the yard and realized there are lots and lots of little holes and mounds of dirt. I think that our fertile soil is a turtle nesting ground! Things should really get interesting in 72-85 days!

Maybe it is the previously mentioned pregnancy hormones, but I am, at times, overwhelmed by how amazing all of this new life is. How cool is it that things (seeds, eggs, babies) grow!

**Read more about our gardening adventures on Josh's new blog - burbgarden.com

1 comment:

  1. i think it's really amazing how life-giving your new home and emotional environment is. i know we haven't been in touch too much lately, but i really like reading your baby blog and am very excited for you and josh. i work at gymboree right now (at southpoint), and i work full time so if you ever wanna stop by odds are i'll be there! i can help you find good deals. :)
    ~katy bodey

    ReplyDelete