Today I had one of my normal monthly check ups with a midwife I haven't seen before. I'm used to these being pretty short, but today's was seriously less than ten minutes. It went something like this:
Midwife (CNM) enters
CNM: So, have you felt the baby move yet? (notice no name is use, nor is a greeting)
M: A little, but not much. I thought I would be feeling her more by now.
CNM: Well, she is still small, you'll feel her eventually.
CNM: Let's measure your belly. You should be one centimeter for each week.
CNM: Exactly 21 centimeters, perfect.
CNM: Let's listen to the heart beat.
CNM: 145bpm, great.
CNM: So, do you have any questions?
M: Well, I have been having weird pains in my hips and leg cramps at night.
CNM: The hip pain is normal. Try heat or cold, whatever works. For the leg cramps take a magnesium supplement.
CNM: Any more questions?
M: Does my weight gain seem good?
CNM: (looking at chart for the first time): You've gained seven pounds, that's fine. (note that the previous midwife said she would like to see me gain 10 by 20 weeks, but I guess this isn't a problem)
CNM: Here's your check out sheet, see you in a month. (door)
Now, don't get me wrong. I am glad that there is nothing wrong and that everything seems to be totally normal. And I did choose the midwife practice because I didn't want anything too medical. But this midwife was not my favorite and this appointment seemed very rushed and impersonal. I feel like she should at least ask me about what I'm eating, if I'm drinking enough water, how I'm sleeping, etc. This is why I went with the midwives, to get more personalized care. So far, two of the three midwives I've seen have been surprisingly impersonal. :(
I guess I just want to feel like I'm cared about as a person, not just another appointment to get through so the medial professional can go home for the day. Is that too much to ask? Perhaps I'll schedule my appointments earlier in the day over the summer and see if that makes a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment