Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sage Advice

On Thursday night I received some of the best advice about child rearing I've received to date! It was from a friend who adopted her son from Korea when he was six months old. While decorating cupcakes, we were talking about babies and sleep. I knew that sleep was initially a struggle for them, but that her son is now a pretty good sleeper. She started out saying that she couldn't really offer me much advice about bedtimes and such for Lily because she hasn't ever had a five month old baby, but then pointed out that even though she had absolutely no input into her son's first six months, he is now a healthy and well adjusted four year old. She extrapolated to the fact that you really can't screw them up too bad in those first six months. As someone who has struggled with the fear that I'm making wrong choices that will impact Lily in the future, I found that quite reassuring and encouraging! I will admit that those fears are quickly diminishing as time goes on and I've come to learn that everything with babies changes daily and that what is the "right" choice today might not be tomorrow. I do wish that she had given me that advice months ago! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment