Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Swaddle Dilemma

Since sometime during her first week home, when we discovered the magic, we have been swaddling Lily to sleep. It is amazing. She sleeps so well and I think much longer when she is in the swaddle. The time is coming, however, when we will not be able to swaddle her anymore. There is some disagreement in what I've read over how long you could/should swaddle. Some say you have to stop as soon as they can roll over so they'll have their hands out to push themselves back over if their face gets into the mattress. Others say swaddle them as long as they need it to feel comforted.

The thing is, I'm not sure how much she really needs it and how much of it is the whole me not wanting her to grow up thing. Her nanny doesn't swaddle her arms in when she puts her down for naps, and she seems to sleep pretty well. She sleeps well in the car seat or swing and isn't swaddled. Still, I'm sort of afraid to try it at night. I'm sort of in the "don't mess with a good thing" camp and she seems to be doing well in it. At night I see her sort of relax into it when I wrap her up and she is sleeping through the night almost all the time. Plus she makes a darn cute baby burrito!

Have any of you parents out there had experience with swaddling? How long did you wrap your little ones? I welcome your thoughts on the subject.

*Note the pink blanket under her head. That is there because Josh swears she told him she liked having a "pillow".

3 comments:

  1. I say swaddle at night until she tells you she doesn't want it :) clearly she's doing well with it at night and during the day if she's a tad fussy I tuck her arms in & it comforts her & settles her for the nap.
    <3 A

    ReplyDelete
  2. We swaddled Natalie until she protested - which I think was around 3 1/2 months. But she's weird - she's never liked being wrapped or tucked and since she's been tiny hasn't liked having her feet covered. She actually slept BETTER out of the swaddler than in it. But then again, I never said she was normal ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swaddled Elizabeth until she objected... it was pretty late 4 or 5 months maybe even 6... she could already roll over but she wouldn't when she was swaddled. Once she started to wrangle her arms out we switched to a straight up sleep sack, but before that we used a sleep sack with swaddle wings (once she grew out of the kidoppotomus).

    ReplyDelete