When I started this parenting thing, I swore that I would make all my own baby food. That hasn't happened. After two early failed attempts (mixing sweet potatoes with spoiled breast milk, and making a banana puree that quickly turned brown and which Lily wouldn't eat), I stuck with the jars for a while.It wasn't really the failure thank kept me from making my own. It was more the ease of pre-made baby food. Everyone says that making your own food isn't hard. They say "just puree up whatever you are making for the family". Well, during the day I work, and I needed something easy to leave for the nanny to feed her. I didn't want her to have to worry with preparing meals for Lily. In the evenings, I hate to admit it, but what "the family" eats isn't really that baby friendly. We tend to eat out a lot or get take out. Not exactly what I want Lily to be eating.
I think the Super Baby Food book was also a problem for me. I got so frustrated with that book and all the contradictory recommendations, that I think I was somewhat afraid of making my own food. It is much easier to just grab a jar from the pantry to feed her, especially if we were going out. Plus, I buy the organic Earth's Best baby food, so I know it doesn't have anything strange in it.
This summer, however, I really want to do better. I have time, which I think has been my main deterrent. I have also fed Lily many new things and discovered that they haven't hurt her in any way, so my fears of that are no longer a factor. I've also found a great website, wholesomebabyfood.com, that has lots of good information and recipes. Unlike Super Baby Food, it is well organized and realistic, not alarmist!
So, this morning I started the day pureeing frozen peas and mango for today's meals. After church, I was off to the farmers market to stock up on wholesome, fresh, local fruits and veggies. Tomorrow my baby food making blitz begins! My plan is to make a bunch of food cubes to freeze. Wish me luck!
Good luck!! I can't wait to help.
ReplyDeleteProteins are required for growth, muscle formation and to build antibodies that protect the body from within.
ReplyDeleteYour baby’s weaning foods should have protective-nutrients like Vitamins A, C, E, B6, Minerals like Zinc and Iron. These give her protection from within and keep her
healthy.
Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. Let the colors of the rainbow be your guide for bringing a variety of nutrients into your baby’s diet.
All babies are born with a sweet tooth; they prefer sweet foods.