Today Lily is nine months old! I know I say this all the time, but it really does seem like time is flying by. It's probably hormonal, but I am feeling super sappy and sentimental today. Yesterday, Josh made me (and yes, it was by force) listen to the Taylor Swift song "Never Grow Up". It is like torture for me at the moment. It is impossible for me to listen to without sobbing. This is the first verse and chorus:Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in and turn on your favorite nightlight
To you, everything's funny
You got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have honey
If you could stay like that
Oh darling don't you ever grow up,
don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh darling don't you ever grow up,
don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you
Wont let no one break your heart
No one will desert you
Just try to never grow up
Never grow up
Seriously...just posting that, I'm sitting here with tears streaming. I can't even conceive of the next two verses (they deal with being a rebellious teenager and moving out on your own). It is mind boggling to me how a young girl like Swift, who is not a mother, can so capture what I feel for my daughter. If you haven't heard the song, you should. It's beautiful...just be prepared to cry!
I can't listen to the song right now either. I'm trying to adopt and it kills me. I skip past it on my cd!
ReplyDeletenot sure i want to listen. i can only imagine. i had a conversation with my sister this morning. her kids are adults, her youngest just moved out last month & she reminded me just how fleeting time really is. <3
ReplyDelete"but mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart"
there's a lot of glory in their growing, too though. i see my job as a mom as to raise human beings who can contribute beauty to the world, for me that means teaching them to be independent,thoughtful, loving, kind, funny, generous & ferocious contributors to their generation. watching them unfold is a gift - every stage is wondrous (tho some harder than others), and being able to witness The Girls become more fully themselves is a joy. i just wanted to encourage you that the gifts & the joy & the love aren't only in the baby, but the girl and then the woman, your daughter will become. <3
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rae :-) that's such an amazing way of looking at parenting! I'm with you, although clearly my girls are WAY younger than yours. I glory in Natalie's glories and die in her defeats but knowing that I get to keep her a few more years I love watching her grow up.
ReplyDelete