On Thursday Josh and I had our second birth class. We talked a lot about comfort measures and positions during labor. One of the reasons that I really like our doula is that she is a realist. While she did encourage us to watch the documentary "Orgasmic Birth" she told us this week that she thinks some of the new age birth theories that labor is painless are setting women up for disappointment. Her theory is that it hurts, but that it is pain with a purpose, and that women have been surviving it for years without being drugged. She also talks to us quite a bit about the natural hormones of labor, how important they are, and how synthetic medications can mess with that.I agree, and I think I can do it, but I am also a realist and know that I need help! I believe that knowledge is power over fear, which is the biggest barrier to natural birth. A big part of this weeks class was dedicated discussing the labor process and to Josh and I practicing different positions to labor in both at home and at the hospital and I found it quite empowering. I think that Josh, on the other hand, found it a bit scary. He turned to me at one point and said "I just really realized that you have to push her out of there". I have to admit that sometimes, if I take time to think about it, that freaks me out a little!
Have any of my readers had successful natural birth stories they'd like to share? I would LOVE to have the encouragement. I do not want to hear about your horrible, terrible, painful, or blissfully drugged births!
I'm proud of you for trying to go this way. My thoughts and pushing vibes will be with you :D
ReplyDeleteYou have such an amazing attitude about this! Belief that it can be done, and that it can be done by you is so important. And your doula keyed in on one very critical point: labor pain is not a pain to fear. It is not a pain that is a signal of something gone wrong, but a sign that something wonderful is about to happen! I know I've shared some of my stories with you, but always love talking labor & babies, so we can chat more if you want!
ReplyDeletethe best thing I heard during our birth classes was that labor pains are within you, they are part of you, they are not some scary force outside of you, they are part of the process of you and your baby working together to meet each other eye to eye for the first time!
ReplyDelete