Monday, July 19, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

Have you ever noticed how kind people are to pregnant women? It's almost as if my belly has a sign saying "Please be nice to me". I've heard women talk about how they dislike being treated as invalids, but I personally appreciate the added kindness, especially since my hormonal emotions make me super sensitive to lack of kindness.

Today at the grocery store I began to think I was on candid camera. A nice man offered to get the couscous off a not really all that high shelf. A teenage boy picked up my grocery list when I dropped it. A woman held the freezer door open for me, and another helped me pick good peaches. A man old man in the parking lot took my cart to the return for me.

Every person I passed smiled at me and the cashier was extra friendly and talked to me about her own baby boy. It was almost funny, but also fantastic. It really makes a person feel special. I can't help but thinking that we all should treat each other like this all the time!

2 comments:

  1. you *are* really special! this post made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, and once she's here, people will still hold doors open and be helpful, and comment on how sweet your little baby girl is! Once in the grocery store, the produce man with his scanner marked down a perfectly good bag of cabbage I was looking at and said it was for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete