
So, I saw online that you can buy a personal doppler to listen to your baby's heart beat at home. Lot's of pregnant women are doing this because they are not very expensive and give you the opportunity to hear and measure the fetal heartbeat every day at home. I sort of want one, but I also think it might be a bad idea.
Part of me thinks it would be really cool to hear the heart beat more than just every four weeks at the doctor. I can, however, see how it could become an obsession for me. I'm, obviously, a bit anxious about the whole pregnancy thing, and I could imagine myself freaking out if it's a few beats lower or higher than I expect. I'm not even sure that Josh and I are skilled enough to be able to find it at all, which would definitely make me scared.
Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever used one?
I think it would be a bad idea for me as I would become obsessed with it. I would start to take matters and worries into my own hands and not trust God. That is just me though. I am not pregnant nor have kids, so not sure how valid my advice is. Ioana
ReplyDeleteFrom what I've heard (and I've never used one personally, this is hearsay) sometimes it's more difficult to find the heartbeat itself depending on which way your baby is facing and so you might not always find the heartbeat, and then proceed to panic. As the baby gets a little bigger (probably within the next 3-6 weeks) you'll be able to feel it moving (even if Josh won't for awhile) and that's just as good as a doppler, if not better!
ReplyDeleteI think it may cause more stress than it dissolves. I KNOW its hard to wait and not feel in control.
ReplyDeleteI have heard thata they are a waste of money and that they are hard to hear/find the heart beat and you do not need any added stress.
ReplyDeleteHi Liz,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations again! I may be a little late the party...but here's my 2cents:
Hearing the heartbeat was one of the things I looked forward to the most on my visits to the doctor. But, considering a) it works by bombarding that part of your body with soundwaves and b)your baby is living in a fluid-filled sac, I'm wondering if frequent use of the doppler might be uncomfortable for him/her?