Friday, March 26, 2010

To Maternity or not to Maternity, that is the question.

I am at a strange clothing place right now. I do have a little baby bump, enough to make some of my pants fit funny, but not so much that maternity pants are really necessary. I have on great pair of jeans that were already elastic in the waist, so they are good. I have two pairs of khaki pants that were too big before, and they fit good now. I also have a few skirts that work, but that is about it.

Last week I was feeling the stress of this, and my hubby wanted to check out the new H&M in Raleigh. I went for him, knowing that it would be foolish for me to by any "regular" clothes right now. I was surprised, however, to find that H&M has a maternity section and a baby section. AWESOME! Sadly, I didn't really fit in any of those maternity clothes yet, but it was a good discovery.

It is just really hard to know what to wear when. I know that I will continue to grow, so I do not want to invest a lot in things that won't fit for long. How do you know what you'll need next month? I have several friends who have recommended the belly band, so I think I'll invest in one of those soon. Hopefully, with that, I can make it a few more weeks without going maternity.

I am very lucky, however, to have quite a few friends who are willing to part with/share their things. It seems to me like maternity clothes are the perfect hand me downs. You don't wear them long, and you only need them for a season.

A very sweet friend of mine already offered me two boxes of maternity clothes. I was super excited. The problem, however, is that this friend is tiny! I am getting less tiny, especially in the bust region, every day. I was able to fit into a few of the things now, which I'm sure were things she wore at the END of her pregnancy, but it's a start. She did tell me that she was able to get her things on Craig's list, so I think I'll check that out.

Other friends have also offered some of their clothes on loan, because they plan to have future children. I'm wary of this because I know that I tend to be sort of hard on clothes. I pick a few things I like and wear them out. I also tend to be clumsy and have quite a few stained things. I would hate to ruin things friends loan me. What to do? What to do?

Thus begins my journey of finding clothes that fit.

2 comments:

  1. I went to a Clinton Kelley (the guy from What Not to Wear)show at Macy's last year and a lady asked him what pregnant women should invest in and he said jersey knit dresses, because they were comfy, stretched as you stretched and can generally be dressed up or down with a sweater, blazer, tights, etc. I thought it was a pretty smart idea, plus if you get the empire waist ones, you can probably buy mostly non-maternity and keep wearing them after you have the baby during that transition time too. Just make sure they are long enough, so that when your belly gets bigger, you aren't front flashing everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also sell belly bands that go over your little snug pants so that you can still wear them. There are great deals at Mimi Maternity or Motherhood Maternity. I do not remember which is out there. I got a great pair of maternity pants at Walmart in Chapel Hill and I loved them. Now I do yard work in them.

    ReplyDelete