Sunday, March 21, 2010

Touchin' the Bump.

The touching of the baby bump is a really interesting issue. I've had some friends say it drives them crazy to have random strangers touch them. I can see how it could be weird if my students start to feel like they can touch me. Still, others encourage people to touch it. Right now, my bump just seems more like extra tummy fat, so I seriously doubt any stranger is going to try to touch it. I did, however, have an interesting stranger experience on Friday.

Friday night, I met one of my friends moms for the first time. This woman, who I've never met, had obviously been told about me and my struggles and current joy by her daughter. As soon as we were introduced she proceeded to touch and talk baby talk to my tummy for an extended period of time (ok, it was probably only 30 seconds, but it seemed long). I think that normally, this is the type of thing that would drive me crazy, but surprisingly, it didn't. It was a little bit awkward, but it was also quite joyous. I am proud of my bump and I do want to celebrate it, and having other women, many of who know the joy and struggle of children, celebrate with me seems quite wonderful actually. So, at least as far as I'm concerned, touch away! For others, maybe you should ask first!

**This photo was taken with my computer camera. Better ones will follow when Josh get's back from Philly and we do a real photo shoot!
**

2 comments:

  1. your baby bump is so cute! it definitely looks like a baby and not extra tummy. :) congrats again!
    ~katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom weirds out a lot of people and i mean a LOT of people so you were lucky! <3 :oP

    ReplyDelete