Friday, March 5, 2010

HELP! Baby Stuff Overload!

HELP! Today my team went on a field trip, but I stayed back with the 15 kids who didn't go. They spent the whole day watching movies, and I was bored. Thus, I started looking for the first time at baby stuff online. WOW! There are a thousand options for everything.

How do you ever decide what stroller, car seat, crib, swing, pack and play, high chair, and baby monitor to buy? And those are just the big items. Then there are the every day things like diapers, bottles, and bath items. There are so many options! How will I know which to choose? I welcome suggestions.

Then there's the issue of which of these things I'll actually need and use and which are unnecessary. A little baby can't possibly need all of the gizmos and gadgets that are out there. I do not want a whole house full of unnecessary plastic things.

Josh and I have already decided not to register for too many small things like clothes and toys because people will want to select those themselves. We are also hoping, hint...hint, that some of the people who wish to buy things for little Hall will go in together and get one of the more essential items.

Would those of you that have kids, please give me a clue about the baby things that I definitely need and which are totally a waste of money!

4 comments:

  1. Mamie, We got a book called Baby Bargains. They have several editions out now, but its a great resource. You are welcome to take a look at ours. Anyway, it gives a lot of reviews and explains things that are essential versus things you can do without. I still look at it even now. It gives great tips on features to seek out when selecting a stroller, carseat, high chair etc. I'll never forget the first time we stepped in to Babies R Us! I know all about Baby-Stuff-Overload. It can be very overwhelming. Also, let Josh know that there is a Consumer Reports for baby stuff!!! I used that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTAL waste? Diaper genie or similar product. We got a normal plastic trash can with a lid (lid = important!) and it worked great - don't spend 60 dollars on a diaper genie-like item. Also, as far as bath items, the baby will only need some head-to-toe baby wash (like the yellow stuff by Johnson & Johnson) and something to go in the big tub for baby to sit in. We got like 50 washcloths and never used any because I did the majority of washing with my hands and rinsed under the faucet(in fact we still have some in the package if you want them!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to hook you up with my friend Deb. She did a lot of research into stuff and just had a baby 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. start with the basics, a good car seat (we liked our infant Chicco seat) that also sat in the stroller (but this depends on what time of year you're having the baby and if you'd be doing much walking on sidewalks, etc). you'll want a good baby carrier (i loved the ergo, maya wrap) and don't just think about for going out, these are great at home for you or Josh to soothe baby with hands free. I agree, 1 bottle of Burt's Bees shampoo lasted Simon forever. Boudreaux's Butt Paste is good for diaper cream. You will get way too many burp clothes and things like that from people who just want to add them on, but on the washcloth front though, we use them now for post meal washups with the messy toddler! Pack n play really only necessary if you will be travelling much, you won't be just putting the baby in there much at home I don't imagine, and you can often borrow/rent one if you do travel.
    lots of stuff can be gotten on a moments notice if you decide you need it, since we all live so close to stores now, and online ordering is quick and easy too.
    send me an email if you want more thoughts.

    ReplyDelete