Last night Josh and I had dinner with a friend who is a big advocate of natural child birth. She had both of her children with very little intervention, and swears by the importance of the support of a doula. I do think that it will help my efforts to "go natural" that I am using the midwife practice instead of a typical OB, but we're still undecided about the need for a doula.
On one hand, I can see how it will be very helpful to have someone around who has assisted in hundreds of births. I like the idea of a personal advisor when it comes to the many decision involved in labor and delivery. Let's face it, I've never done this before and don't really know what I'm doing. Josh knows even less. No books can really prepare you. It would be nice to have someone who is objective and knowledgeable on hand through the whole process.
On the other hand, I like the idea of labor and birth as an intimate time for Josh and I, and I'm unsure how I feel about anyone else being there all the time. I already know that I do not want family or friends in the labor and delivery room with us (not that I don't love you guys), but I'm not sure how I feel about someone we hardly know. I guess it would just depend on the doula and the rapport we developed with her.
Anyone out there used a doula before? Any good insight or recommendations? As always, I welcome your feedback!
No comments:
Post a Comment