Lily has reached the age of the skinned knee. In the last week she has drawn blood four times! Granted, three of those were on the same scraped knee (the fourth was from falling in the tub on the drain and scratching her bottom). The first time she fell on the knee was at the park and she didn't cry or anything. She just got mad at me for having to clean her off when she wanted to play. The second and third time she was sad and kept saying "all done knee" which I think was because she wanted to be all done with it hurting. I'm actually sort of surprised at how tough Lily is. She very rarely cries and we have learned to not react too strongly when she falls. She usually gets right up and says "I'm ok." It's kind of funny. Still, it is a tough line between letting her explore and play and keeping her safe. I think Josh and I somewhat disagree about how much we should let her climb and risk. I am a worrier and don't want to see her hurt. Josh takes more of a "scraped knees are part of childhood" approach. What do you think?
When she got hurt at the park, I realized how unprepared I was. I had to make a trip to the store for peroxide, bandages, and neosporin. Now I keep a bottle of water in the car and bandaids and neosporin spray in my diaper bag. What other advice do you parents have for a first aid kit for toddlers?
I have an "uh-oh" box in my car, assuming that everywhere I go with the girls I'm going to drive ;-) But it has antiseptic wipes, antibacterial wipes, bandaids, instant ice (the chemical kind where you burst it inside the plastic bag and it goes cold), baby ibuprofen, and antibiotic ointment. JJ has the same kit in his car and we have a more comprehensive kit at home.
ReplyDelete