Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas - The Story of Stuff

I learned something new this Christmas. People LOVE buying for little ones, myself included. It is nearly impossible to resist all of those adorable outfits and toys that are so affordable! This Christmas Lily received no fewer than fifteen outfits and equally as many toys including several big items (a small table, a slide, a rocking horse, and a giant inflatable air swimming shark (which was actually given to Josh!) If she continues to receive gifts at the rate she did the Christmas and if we also add Jack's gifts, we are going to need another house just to store all of their toys!

It was only by the grace of God and Josh's amazing tetris skills that we were able to get everything in the car to come home. Luckily Josh's parents had delivered the little table ahead of time, and my parents are planning a trip down in the next few weeks to deliver some other big hand me down presents (a swing, a barbie jeep, and a crib for Jack). I'm still not sure where we are going to put everything, but luckily we have a decent size attic and garage to store things she has outgrown or hasn't grown into yet, and we did end up returning a few clothes in order to buy things in the next size up. No baby needs two weeks worth of pajamas in the same size!

I'm torn about the whole consumer Christmas thing. Part of me is strongly opposed. I mean, who really needs all of this stuff, and it in the end it ends up in the landfill as things break and kids outgrow them. On the other hand, I love to shop for the little ones. Josh has said several times that we really shouldn't buy presents for Lily since everyone else does, but I'm not sure I can do that. I love picking out things that I know she will enjoy! I know I am guilty of buying more than is probably necessary for my nephew and some of the other kids in my life. Shopping for them is just so much fun!

I think most of us need to find ways to scratch that shopping itch in a more moderate way. Perhaps we'll start a college fund for Lily and ask people to contribute to that instead. Perhaps I'll do more of my shopping at consignment and thrift stores next year. I also know there are lots of needy kids out there that may not get anything for Christmas, and I would love to shop for them. Convincing my family, including my husband, however, to give up buying so much for us so we can put those funds towards others, is not as easy as you might think, and I don't want to come across as high and mighty, guilt them into it, or have everyone end up spending twice as much to buy for those in need AND ourselves. Anyone have any good tips on making that transition?


No comments:

Post a Comment