Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jack and Lily

One of the main questions people ask me is what does Lily think of Jack. I would say that on the whole she is adjusting well. When she first came to see him in the hospital, she was sort of oblivious. She was much more interested in looking out the sixth story window than looking at the baby. In fact, I think it took her a while to really understand that this baby was her brother, Jack. For at least two weeks, she called him "Carter" the name of our friends baby and continued to point to my belly for Jack.

Now, however, she knows that he is her brother, Jack and she certainly loves him. She wakes up every morning and from every nap asking about him and wanting to see him. When he cries she says "Mommy, uh-oh, Jack" as if she feels she has to let me know he needs me. We do have to work with her on appropriate ways to sooth him, which do not involve forcefully rocking his chair, slapping him on the head, or jabbing the pacifier in his mouth! :) I know she is just trying to be helpful, so it's sort of cute, but I'm also still a little afraid she'll hurt him.

She has had a little bit of added tantrum time lately, which could be her age, could be Jack, and is probably both. She has always been so good, but has started screaming, throwing things, and obviously testing the limits the last few weeks. Josh and I are both trying to counter that by giving her as much attention as I can, but it is tough when Jack needs me so much. I tried to take her on a Mommy daughter shoe shopping trip a few days ago, but that backfired and ended with us both crying! Today, however, we had a successful day out to the library and picking up Josh for lunch. It was nice and I hope she understands that I love her and still want to give her attention too! That has to be the hardest part of parenting two, making sure both know you love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment